Tuesday, November 24, 2009

SQL Server 2008 Error: Saving changes is not permitted




Please visit my new Web Site WWW.Codedisplay.com



Few days ago I have migrated one of my Database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008. Actually what I did during migration? I have created a Database first in SQL Server 2008. Then I have imported all of my SQL Server 2005 tables into the SQL Server 2008 Database. I thought that Everything is perfect but when I live my application for testing then I found that System can not insert data into few tables. Then I debug my application & found that my imported tables has missed identity constraint. So what can I do? According to SQL Server 2005 my understanding was I can apply identity constraint on numeric columns if the column has a sequence of number. So I open my table (which has lost identity constraint) in design mode then click on ID column then from ColumnProperties select identity = yes & then save. But at that time I found the below error:

Saving changes is not permitted. The changes you have made require the
following tables to be dropped and re-created. You have either made changes to
a table that can’t be re-created or enabled the option Prevent saving changes
that require the table to be re-created.

The snapshot is given below:



Fig: Error


The error is self explanatory & helpful enough to find a solution clearly.

Then after few minutes i found the below solution:
GO TO Tools >> Options >> Designers

Then you will found the option "Prevent saving changes that require table re-creation" is checked. Just uncheck the option will resolve your problem.

Please find the step by step screenshots from below:
GO TO Tools >> Options



Fig: Step 1

Now just uncheck the option will resolve your problem:



Fig: Step 2


Hope it will help you.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you , thank you , thank you
this is the only words i can tell you

Want to say something?
I WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO HEAR FROM YOU

Want To Search More?
Google Search on Internet
Subscribe RSS Subscribe RSS
Article Categories
  • Asp.net
  • Gridview
  • Javascript
  • AJAX
  • Sql server
  • XML
  • CSS
  • Free Web Site Templates
  • Free Desktop Wallpapers
  • TopOfBlogs
     
    Free ASP.NET articles,C#.NET,VB.NET tutorials and Examples,Ajax,SQL Server,Javascript,Jquery,XML,GridView Articles and code examples -- by Shawpnendu Bikash